About Me:

My photo
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
I'm a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister and a great friend.

June 2, 2006

What would you do?

What do you do when someone is begging for money? I mean someone you don't know. Ok, I'll just get to the point. Just about ever other day since I started school there's a man always begging for change. Every time I'm at the bus stop he ask for change. Now don't get me wrong I don't mind helping people but he never stops. The first time I saw him he said some people jumped him and took his money. I told him the only money I had on me was bus fare. I also told him if someone jumped him to go to the police station, which is right down the street. But he said he did and they wont help him. Anyway, I was at the bus stop and he asked me again for money and again I told him no. But I feel a little bad. That changes fast when I see him going to the gas station and buy beer. So What I want to know is how do you know who to help and who not to help?

2 comments:

SallyD said...

Just trust in your own heart on who to help. I have found that the real people who need help do not usually go out on the streets asking for change. Change won't help them. those people just want a few dollars to buy beer or drugs and that is not helping them at all. If you want to help them, make some cards up that have a local charity or help centers address on them and give them that instead. they just might take you up on it. That would really be helping them. In my opinion anyway.

Patty said...

I never hand out change to someone on the street....there are organizations that I donate yearly too that specialize on helping the people that truly need the help and want it. I find its more of the ones looking for money for cigarettes, beer or drugs that you find on the corner and not willing to help themselves out of that situation. Sad yes, mean maybe....but you are also putting your own safety at risk if you open your purse to them. Hugs.